9.07.2011

(Lov) // Happy to Meet You

I have wanted to write this blog post since Sunday night but was unfortunately unable until now due to an awful stomach... something (throwing up for 2 days) and the ever mounting pile of real world responsibilities that begins to manifest when your are out of commission for a while.  Alas, I am feeling much better.  And no, I'm not pregnant.

But this post does have to do with babies... one in particular.  On July 29th my dear friend Sam gave birth to her second child (a baby girl) almost exactly a month early; induced due to low amniotic fluid level. Jessie Mae Cecil came into the world weighing 5lbs. 10ozs. and measured 19 3/4" long.  Considered preterm, she spent her first month in the NICU trying to overcome her underdeveloped challenges. In an email to update her friends and family Sam wrote:

"Of course this is the very last thing I could have expected to happen and like a nightmare that I can't get out of.  But, she is beautiful and so cute and she is trying as hard as she can.  I know that God has a plan according to His will and purposes and it's not about what I want or when and how I want it.  I know that I have no control over this but being able to rest in the peace of knowing that God is in control is what is helping me through this.  I don't ask 'why' has this happened, I just trust that He knows what He's doing and that He won't give us anything we can't handle."


The most remarkable thing about Sam (besides the fact of her obvious beauty) is how deeply she loves and trust's God's will for her life.  Her faith is real... it's big... and it has always shown bright in the face of the many hardships she has dealt with since I have know her.  It is only because Sam completely trusts that Jesus Christ died for her sins and was buried and raised for her justification that she can walk with such confidence in spite of the most difficult of circumstances.  Her faith has nothing to do with her... and everything to do with Jesus Christ. She knows she is not worthy yet she is loved by God for Christ's sake.  She knows she has been saved by grace and she extends that grace to everything she encounters.  And though she didn't know it when Jessie was first born, more challenging news was on it's way.  Again, in Sam's own words:

"The other news I have is still a little hard for us to comprehend, but, we love her just the same and at this point, just want her home. Up until Monday of this week we have been awaiting the results of Jessie's chromosome test. She was showing some features and symptoms and we got the confirmation that our girl does in fact, have Downs Syndrome. We were shocked, still don't understand this but, we have accepted it and look forward to what she has to teach us. We will get some in depth details later on when we can speak with the geneticist and she can tell us more about this. Right now we have an excellent social worker helping us and getting us community out-reach programs info.

Without a doubt, I can see now how God was preparing my heart for this through the job I've had for the last year and a half as a T.A. in Special Ed. I had a student with Downs all last year that I worked closely with and learned so much from, as well as the kids I worked with before in my first job at  Travis High School.
 

We think that Jessie is and will remain the prettiest girl and she is already proving to be a high functioning Downs baby with her speedy ability to learn how to organize her feeding coordination. Breathing, sucking and swallowing are the challenge for any new baby learning to feed and she has caught on very quickly with the help of her speech therapist working with her on body and mouth positioning. The nurses are very impressed with her, she does try hard, she just gets tired very easily. The nurses love her because she never gives them any problems, she hardly ever cries. She is very sweet and calm, very cute, she smiles and is so cuddly."    

The prettiest girl indeed!  I had the pleasure of meeting Miss Jessie Mae for the first time this past Sunday when Sam and her husband Dennis had a party for friends and family to welcome home their baby girl. 



It was a wonderful time... a true celebration for a very loved and precious life. Jessie spent the afternoon in the arms of friends and family...sleeping, eating, and taking in all the excitement that was buzzing around her.  I watched as my Lydia tried to keep up with all the older kids that were in attendance and dreamed about the day when she and Jessie would play and become friends. It was while sitting with Sam and Jessie when I imagined our daughters holding hands as they whisper secrets to one another the way little girls are want to do.  And then I slowly placed her hand into mine... Oh the joy that filled my heart. 


I am in awe of how God works his wonders.  I am joyful for his unexpected gifts.  I am grateful to have faithful and loving friends.  And I am happy to meet you, Miss Jessie Mae Cecil!



(Lov)e, 

-k.

UPDATE:  After reading this blog, Sam sent me a lovely thank you note along with a link to another blog that had been recommended to her via a social worker.  Enjoying the Small Things is a Blog by Kelle Hampton... a mother to a little girl who also has Down Syndrome. Unbeknownst to Sam, I had actually began reading this blog while pregnant with Lydia. Her story is amazing and the work that she is doing is inspiring.  She started the ONEder Fund, an organization dedicated to spreading awareness and creating more opportunities for those with Downs.  Please take a moment and watch this video....



I donated this evening in honor of Jessie Mae.  If you find it in your heart to do so, I encourage you to give what you can.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...