10.18.2011

(Lov) // Autumn Vegetable Soup

We had our first cold front of the season today (it didn't get above 75) and I was SO inspired that I decided  to whip up a yummy soup using a bunch of the fall vegetables we received in our CSA basket on Saturday! It turned out EXACTLY as I had hoped (spicy, hearty, and a tiny bit sweet) and it totally hit the "I want to celebrate fall in everything I do" spot.  Here is the recipe, including step-by-step instructions (with pictures) on how YOU TOO can make this lovely Autumn Vegetable Soup:  

Ingredients:

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 medium sized onion
  • 2 cloves of mince garlic
  • 2 sweet peppers finely chopped
  • jalapeno pepper finely chopped
  • 2 cups of sliced mushrooms 
  • 6 cups of chicken broth
  • 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cut into bite sized chunks
  • 1 bunch of chopped kale
  • 1 can (15 ounces) white beans (I used Cannellini beans) drained and rinsed
  • 1/4 teaspoon of salt (or to taste)
  • 1/4 teaspoon of brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika (or to taste)
  • 1/4 teaspoon ginger  (or to taste)
  • a dash of ground clove (you shouldn't need much more than a dash)




If you are wanting to make this a vegetarian soup, use vegetable broth instead of chicken. If you are wanting to add meat and make this soup EXTRA AWESOME, I would suggest adding 8 to 12 ounces of a smoked sausage... thinly sliced. 


Instructions


In a dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.  Add onions, garlic, and peppers (sausage if using) and saute until onions begin to tender.


Add mushrooms and continue to saute until mushrooms begin to brown.  
Then add 4 cups of chicken broth (1 box).

  
Add sweet potatoes.


Bring to a boil and let cook until potatoes are tender.


Reduce heat to medium-low and add the kale and spices. 


Once the kale is wilted a bit, add the remaining 2 cups of chicken broth and the beans.


Give it a good stir and then put the lid on!  


Let the soup simmer on medium- low heat for about 20-25 min. Taste frequently and adjust spices to your liking! Once perfect, set to low and enjoy whenever the smell become to powerful to resist!



I served mine with corn bread that I was forced to make on the stove top in a cast iron skillet because our oven is not working properly. This was a first for me, and I have to admit I was kind of shocked how good it actually turned out!  I followed these instructions that I found online and think I might just be switching to this method and recipe even once our oven is repaired. SO good!


I hope you have as much fun with this recipe as I did playing with my salt and pepper shakers...



And that your husband gives you a similar look of approval for making "such a fine meal".  




(Lov)e,

-k.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...